Windmill Cottages is the starting point for many little journeys of discovery:
- Walk around Clew Bay in search of seals (make sure to bring binoculars) or to gather mussels.
- Ride a bicycle through the beautiful scenery along the coast and through the hills
- Gallop around the bay on horseback: Carrowholly Stables & Trekking Centre
Not far from the house, you will find the famous Westport Golf Club
, an 18-hole golf course in a magnificent setting.
Three miles from the house is the charming little town of Westport
with its colourful houses and lively pubs..
For the sportier types, the Croagh Patrick
(764 metres high) has been a place of pilgrimage for hundreds of years and offers a great climb. Many pilgrims climb to the top barefoot, in memory of St Patrick
who spent 40 days and 40 nights fasting on the mountain top over 1,500 years ago.
It boasts magnificent views over Clew Bay
Ideas for a stay at Windmill cottages
- Day 1 ♦♦ Morning: Set off for Connemara via the Delphi Valley. Incredible countryside. Take a boat trip from Killary Harbour ♦ Lunch: Clifden, Leenane ♦ Afternoon: Joyce Country, take tea at Cashel House, where General de Gaulle stayed ♦ Evening meal: In the cosy, friendly setting of Windmill Cottage.
- Day 2 ♦♦ Morning: Mulranny, Achill Island, the cliffs of the Atlantic Drive and Clew Bay, near Dooagh, at the very end of the Drive. ♦ Lunch: We’ve some good suggestions of places to eat such as Achill Sound or Keel ♦ Afternoon: take a walk in the mountains of Achill ♦ Evening meal: why not relax in the hot tub and have a sauna to unwind before your pre-dinner drink and evening meal.
- Should you stay for 4 or 5 days...
You could spend a day in North Mayo: cliffs, the Ceide Fields, the moors and peat bogs. ♦ Take half a day to climb Croagh Patrick, which lies just opposite the house, before enjoying a cup of tea and a slice of porter cake or else a good Guinness. ♦ You could also simply have a quiet day of reading and music, alone in front of the ocean, topped off with a special barbecued lobster lunch.